The NWO executive board has awarded funding to ten proposals in the National Roadmap for Large-Scale Scientific Infrastructure. The total amount granted is 138 million euros. On 12 April 2018, the Minister of Education, Culture and Science, Ingrid van Engelshoven, presented the ten roadmap certificates at Utrecht Science Park.
Funds for the National Roadmap Large-Scale Scientific Infrastructure make it possible to build or modernise top research facilities with an international allure. These facilities have the highest priority for science and offer Dutch researchers access to first-class national and sometimes international scientific infrastructure. In the domain of life sciences, the following projects and clusters were awarded:
- BSL3: In the High Containment Research Facility BSL3 (Biosafety Level 3), scientists can conduct research on infectious diseases with full control of risks to themselves or the environment.
- NPEC: The Netherlands Plant Eco-Phenotyping Centre (NPEC) provides scientists with next generation growth platforms to enable research designed to unravel to the interactions between plant genes and the environment.
- NEMI: The Netherlands Electron Microscopy Infrastructure (NEMI) provides researchers with an opportunity to actually see how individual atoms and molecules behave and organise themselves in biological and non-biological materials.
- Netherlands X-omics Initiative: The Netherlands X-omics Initiative aims to radically improve technological approaches to study biomolecules such as DNA, RNA, proteins, and metabolites. This will help researchers understand the fundamentals of life, which is crucial to unravel mechanisms of health and disease.
DTL congratulates these life science infrastructure clusters.
- NWO’s December 2016 press release about the Roadmap
- 2016 Roadmap brochure with list of selected facilities and clusters
- NWO website large-scale research infrastructures
- Read more about the facilitating role of DTL in large research infrastructure initiatives.
- Hans van Duijn’s view on the NWO Roadmap (December 2016 interview)