In many different problems from bioinformatics and systems biology (e.g. multi parameter estimation, reverse engineering of gene networks, multi-alignment problem, 3D structure prediction etc.) various optimisation methods are applied. In this course you will get acquainted with the underlying mathematics of optimization and with a selection of local and global optimization methods. In addition, throughout this course a great variety of examples of optimization problems in life sciences will be presented and discussed.
- Day 1: math refresher and univariate optimisation (JaapM+ Hans)
- Dag 2: local multivariate optimisation (JaapM + Hans)
- Dag 3: global stochastic optimization (simulated annealing, evolutionary algorithms) (JaapK)
- Dag 4: parameter estimation, systems control and optimisation (Hans + JaapM)
- Dag 5: MCMC techniques (Cajo)