DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.
™Royal DSM is a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. By connecting its unique competences in life sciences and materials sciences DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders simultaneously. DSM delivers innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance in global markets such as food and dietary supplements, personal care, feed, medical devices, automotive, paints, electrical and electronics, life protection, alternative energy and bio-based materials. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 25,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext Amsterdam.More information can be found at www.dsm.com .
The Genetics Department is part of the DSM Biotechnology Center* (DBC) and serves the different businesses by delivering new and improved strains to produce biocatalysts and bioproducts by means of classical and genetically modified organism (GMO) strain development and High Throughput (HT) screening technology.Within the Genetics Department of the DBC there is a vacancy for the position of:
As a data scientist, you will be located at the DBC in Delft. Your challenge will be to co-develop a big data platform for biotech and to support business-driven R&D projects with data processing, data standardization following FAIR data principles, data management and statistical analysis for applications in food, pharma and bio-based chemicals and fuels. As part of the job, you will participate in multidisciplinary project teams in which you will be the data scientist.At DBC, you will be part of a team consisting of data scientists, statisticians, genomics experts, metabolic & molecular modelers, and automation experts. You will also play a role in building and sharing knowledge around the topic of Big Data within the global DSM science community and participate in public private partnerships like DTL, ELIXIR and NMC.
- Ph.D. in mathematics, computer science, bioinformatics, physics, or a related discipline.
- Additional experience or degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, food sciences, or biotechnology is an advantage.
- 3+ year experience, preferably in data sciences and statistical data processing of biological data or fermentation data.
- Experience with building statistical, mathematical, and predictive models or implementation of machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases.
- Experience with programming in Python, Java, C or related languages
- Experience with end-user analytical and visualization tools, e.g. Tableau, SAS, Spotfire, R, Matlab is a plus
- Personal skills like problem analysis, creativity and being a strong communicator characterize your identity.