DSM – Bright Science. Brighter Living.™
Royal DSM is a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. By connecting its unique competences in life sciences and materials sciences DSM is driving economic prosperity, environmental progress and social advances to create sustainable value for all stakeholders simultaneously. DSM delivers innovative solutions that nourish, protect and improve performance in global markets such as food and dietary supplements, personal care, feed, medical devices, automotive, paints, electrical and electronics, life protection, alternative energy and bio-based materials. DSM and its associated companies deliver annual net sales of about €10 billion with approximately 25,000 employees. The company is listed on Euronext Amsterdam. More information can be found at www.dsm.com .
The DSM Biotechnology Center (DBC) is the primary location for Biotechnological Research and Development and is responsible for the realization of biotechnological innovations and the developments of new products and cost effective production processes. In order to be a truly globally recognized Biotech competence leader, DBC successfully strives to be optimally connected to both DSM and external science networks, supporting and co-creating DSM Bright Science image and DSM’s agenda for a sustainable world. DBC uses bright science to create better living through the development of new and improved products for DSM.
Located at Delft, The Netherlands within the Genetics Department of the DBC there is a vacancy for the position of:
- As a Data Scientist, you will be located at the DSM Biotechnology Center in Delft, supporting business-driven R&D projects for end-applications in food, pharma and/or bio-based chemicals and fuels.
- You will develop ideas and implement solutions related to statistics and data science to a broad community of researcher scientists and developers and therefore, you will be acting as an enabler in interdisciplinary project teams.
- Being part of the bioinformatics & modeling group, you will support the team on statistical and data science topics.
- Projects may range from medium to high-throughput screenings for enzyme and strain development, applied biochemistry and analytical data, to QA/QC support for manufacturing, depending on your background and interest.
- You have bachelor or master’s degree in Computational Science, Data science, Bioinformatics, Statistics, or a related discipline.
- 2-5 year working experience with data management, processing and analysis, preferably working with biological data or process data.
- Experience in performing statistical analysis and with statistical design.
- Experience with semantic web technology, machine learning, data mining, distributed computing and/or big data ecosystems (Hadoop, Spark) is a plus.
- Preferably you have experience in working with and setting up NoSQL databases (e.g. graph databases, document stores, etc.) and relational databases.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language is desired (e.g. R, Python, Java, Matlab, Knime).
- You are comfortable working in multinational interdisciplinary teams and preferably, you have already gained international experience.
- Personal skills like result oriented, flexibility, problem analysis, creativity and being a strong communicator characterize your identity.