We offer an exciting multidisciplinary environment with many international collaborations in the area of area of biobanking, cohorts, (rare) disease, multi-omics and data science/bioinformatics. The position is part of the Genomics Coordination Centre (GCC), the ‘big data’ research & service hub of the Department of Genetics, University Medical Centre Groningen (UMCG) and University of Groningen (rank 66 worldwide, 3rd best place to work in EU). Our mission is to accelerate scientific discovery in health data with innovative methods and tools that expedite medical research and improves people’s lives.
GCC is at the heart of the exciting big data transformation in life sciences with large population biobanks and patient cohorts and new biotechnologies producing terabytes of epidemiological genetic, molecular and imaging data offering unprecedented possibilities to diagnose disease and improve health status. You will be part of a social and ambitious team of 1 professor, 2 postdocs, 4 project/team leaders, 1 community manager, 8 programmers (2 scrum teams), 4 data managers and 4 Phd students, all on a mission to enable large scale integrated health data analyses towards better understanding and prediction of disease and health.
What do we need
The ideal candidate has a MSc in Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or a related field who:
- Has a passion for data models/ontologies/linked data/semantic methods/knowledge engineering
- Loves to translate theory into software that can be widely used in practice
- Thrives in international collaborations and with researchers from other disciplines
- Has pro-active, can do, collaborative, open attitude
- Communicates easily in English speech and scientific writing (with good publication track record)
- Is prepared to travel (inter)nationally