AMC – VUmc alliantie
Meibergdreef 15 1105AZ Amsterdam
Eric Reits and René Musters
0031 (0)20 5666259
The core facility Cellular Imaging at the AMC and the Advanced Optical Microscopy Core in O|2 at the VUmc are linked with all research themes and institutes of the AMC-VUmc alliance. They provide a variety of imaging courses for education of researchers at all levels within the area. The main techniques are:
• Flow cytometry (cell sorting and analysis);
• Advanced fluorescence microscopy (cells and tissues, including lightsheet, superreolution, confocal, FRAP, FLIM, timelapse imaging);
• Electron microscopy (transmission and scanning EM, immuno-EM, freeze-fracture) with the EM for the AMC, VUmc, NIN and NKI.
Both facility locations have around 10 dedicated operators and several embedded scientific group leaders that ensure scientific input and help in translating research questions into techniques. Furthermore, the facility is part of the van Leeuwenhoek Center of Advanced Microscopy (NKI and FNWI) and cooperates with other imaging groups at the NIN and Sanquin to enable use of dedicated techniques at all locations.
AMC Cellular Imaging: Eric Reits email@example.com
VUmc AO2M: René Musters firstname.lastname@example.org
This group participates in NL-BioImaging AM (http://www.eurobioimaging.nl).
Further information can be found at http://www.lcam-amc.nl/
- Biomedical & health
- Advanced microscopy
- Medical imaging
- Other imaging techniques
- Intracellular protein degradation (proteasome-ubiquitin system, autophagy)
- Protein misfolding diseases (e.g. Huntington’s and Alzheimer’s disease)
- DNA damage and repair (and the link with oncogenesis)
- Infection&immunity (pathogen uptake by dendritic cells, antigen presentation, T and B cell development)
- Diabetes and angiogenesis (and the link with retinopathy)
Expertise and Track Record
We are unique due to the high concentration of various complementary techniques, having different EM and fluorescence microscopy and flow cytometers within a single core facility, run by a large team of operators and academics, who also organize and participate in numerous teaching courses and programms.
Some of the techniques offered are also unique in the Netherlands, such as several EM techniques and fluorescence microscopes linked with irradiation sources (to induce eg DNA damage).
The number of publications and co-publications by the various operators and associated research groupleaders is obviously too long to add here but can be obtained via a search on PubMed. As for supporting scientists outside our departments, typical examples are:
1. Active caspase-3 is removed from cells by release of caspase-3-enriched vesicles. Böing AN, Stap J, Hau CM, Afink GB, Ris-Stalpers C, Reits EA, Sturk A, van Noorden CJ, Nieuwland R. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013 : designing microscopy experiments to visualise and quantify microparticles in blood.
2. CD40 stimulation sensitizes CLL cells to lysosomal cell death induction by type II anti-CD20 mAb GA101. Jak M, van Bochove GG, Reits EA, Kallemeijn WW, Tromp JM, Umana P, Klein C, van Lier RA, van Oers MH, Eldering E. Blood. 2011. Designing microscopy experiments to visualise and quantify lysosomal cell death in patient material.
3. Ae2(a,b)-deficient mice exhibit osteopetrosis of long bones but not of calvaria. Jansen ID, Mardones P, Lecanda F, de Vries TJ, Recalde S, Hoeben KA, Schoenmaker T, Ravesloot JH, van Borren MM, van Eijden TM, Bronckers AL, Kellokumpu S, Medina JF, Everts V, Oude Elferink RP. FASEB J. 2009. Designing microscopy experiments to visualise osteopetrosis in mouse models.
Correlative microscopy (EM-FM)
- Receptor usage dictates HIV-1 restriction by human TRIM5α in dendritic cell subsets. Nature 540, 448–452 (15 December 2016)
- Endothelial basement membrane laminin 511 is essential for shear stress response. EMBO J. 2017 Jan 17; 36(2): 183–201.
- HIV-1 blocks the signaling adaptor MAVS to evade antiviral host defense after sensing of abortive HIV-1 RNA by the host helicase DDX3. Nature Immunology 18, 225–235 (2017)
- Betulinic acid induces a novel cell death pathway that depends on cardiolipin modification. Oncogene. 2016 Jan 28;35(4):427-37
- Human ILC1: To Be or Not to Be. Immunity. 2017 May 16;46(5):756-757.
- IL-1β, IL-4 and IL-12 control the fate of group 2 innate lymphoid cells in human airway inflammation in the lungs. Nat Immunol. 2016 Jun;17(6):636-45.
Our facility is embedded in:
– the van Leeuwenhoek Center for Advanced Microscopy LCAM http://www.lcam.nl/
– NL BioImaging and Euro BioImaging http://www.eurobioimaging.eu/
- The facility has over 10 operators and several embedded scientific group leaders.
- 3x Leica SP8 confocal SMD / DLS (FRAP, FLIM, lighsheet), 1x Leica SP5 confocal
- Leica GS-DIM superresolution
- Leica DMi8 timelapse, Leica DM-RA, Leica DM6, Leica IRB
- 2x TEM Technai T12, 2x TEM Philips CM-10
- Zeiss Sigma SEM
- FLOW sort: Sony, Influx, 2x BD Facs Aria
- FLOW analysis: spectral analyser, BD Fortessa, 2x BD Facscanto
- 12 advanced workstations for Leica LAS-X, FlowJo etc