Amsterdam UMC – Location VUmc
O|2 Lab Building, 11th Floor, De Boelelaan 1108, 1081 HZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Juan J. Garcia Vallejo, MD PhD MBA
+31 20 4448259
The MCCF is the Advanced Microscopy and Cytometry Research Core Facility of the Amsterdam UMC – Location VU University Medical Center and it is established at the Department of Molecular Cell Biology & Immunology at the O|2 Lab Research Building. MCCF serves the bioimaging, cytometry, and sorting needs of the research groups of the VU and the Amsterdam UMC – Location VUmc. O2Flow is also open to collaboration with other Universities and offers a wide portfolio of services to biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
Our facility is equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation encompassing all cytometry and sorting modalities; as well as a broad palette of advanced microscopy instrumentation. We are supported by a team of experienced operators and scientists. A strong partnership with the industry resulted in opening of the Nikon Center of Excellence and Cytek School for Spectral Cytometry in our core facility.
Our mission is to provide access to state-of-the-art technologies, services, and expertise in flow, imaging, and mass cytometry in order to enhance scientific discovery in fundamental and translational research at the Amsterdam UMC and the O|2 Research Building.
We are committed to the continuous development and transfer of imaging and cytometry expertise and techniques to different areas of research, enhancing the role of microscopy and cytometry as key methodologies in biomedical research.
- Biomedical & health
- Bio-informatic analysis of high dimensional data
Expertise and Track Record
443500985029 Formation and Maintenance of Nodes of Ranvier: Imaging Channels Dynamics at the Nanoscale with A. Freal (Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience).
- Spectral Cytometry: Thanks to our collaboration with Cytek, we have set up the first School for Spectral Cytometry.
- Imaging Flow Cytometry: We are a reference center for this technology which enables direct quantification of morphological aspects of thousands of cells in suspension.
- Mass Cytometry: We provide integrated services in mass cytometry studies, ranging from metal-antibody conjugate preparation, panel design, sample acquisition, and data interpretation.
- Cell Sorting: Our high-end platform allows both operator-independent and operator-assisted cell sorting.
MCCF provides support to multiple grant applications both within the VUmc and outside and on multiple funding bodies, including ERC Advanced (Prof. van Kooyk, Prof. Nejentsev), NWO (Prof. van Egmond, Prof. Mebius, Dr. Garcia Vallejo), MLDS (Prof. Mebius, Prof. Bouma), KWF (Dr. Baglio, Prof. de Gruijl), and internal CCA applications (Prof. van der Loosdrecht, Prof. Würdinger).
Phenotypic characterization of cells through the different modalities of cytometry very often requires data integration with other technologies such as genomics and microscopy. We have done so multiple times which is indicated in the accompanying papers.
- García-Santisteban I, Arregi I, Alonso-Mariño M, Urbaneja MA, Garcia-Vallejo JJ, Bañuelos S, Rodríguez JA. A cellular reporter to evaluate CRM1 nuclear export activity: functional analysis of the cancer-related mutant E571K. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016; 73 (24): 4685-4699. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Ates LS, van der Woude AD, Bestebroer J, van Stempvoort G, Musters RJ, Garcia-Vallejo JJ, Picavet DI, Weerd Rv, Maletta M, Kuijl CP, van der Wel NN, Bitter W. The ESX-5 System of Pathogenic Mycobacteria Is Involved In Capsule Integrity and Virulence through Its Substrate PPE10. PLoS Pathog. 2016; 12 (6): e1005696. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Smit B, Smulders YM, de Waard MC, Boer C, Vonk AB, Veerhoek D, Kamminga S, de Grooth HJ, García-Vallejo JJ, Musters RJ, Girbes AR, Oudemans-van Straaten HM, Spoelstra-de Man AM. Moderate hyperoxic versus near-physiological oxygen targets during and after coronary artery bypass surgery: a randomised controlled trial. Crit Care. 2016; 20: 55. Service provided: Standard Flow Cytometry.
- Verbrugge SE, Al M, Assaraf YG, Kammerer S, Chandrupatla DM, Honeywell R, Musters RP, Giovannetti E, O'Toole T, Scheffer GL, Krige D, de Gruijl TD, Niessen HW, Lems WF, Kramer PA, Scheper RJ, Cloos J, Ossenkoppele GJ, Peters GJ, Jansen G. Multifactorial resistance to aminopeptidase inhibitor prodrug CHR2863 in myeloid leukemia cells: down-regulation of carboxylesterase 1, drug sequestration in lipid droplets and pro-survival activation ERK/Akt/mTOR. Oncotarget. 2016; 7 (5): 5240-57. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Lin JW, Spaccapelo R, Schwarzer E, Sajid M, Annoura T, Deroost K, Ravelli RB, Aime E, Capuccini B, Mommaas-Kienhuis AM, O'Toole T, Prins F, Franke-Fayard BM, Ramesar J, Chevalley-Maurel S, Kroeze H, Koster AJ, Tanke HJ, Crisanti A, Langhorne J, Arese P, Van den Steen PE, Janse CJ, Khan SM. Replication of Plasmodium in reticulocytes can occur without hemozoin formation, resulting in chloroquine resistance. J Exp Med. 2015; 212 (6): 893-903. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Huijts CM, Schneiders FL, Garcia-Vallejo JJ, Verheul HM, de Gruijl TD, van der Vliet HJ. mTOR Inhibition Per Se Induces Nuclear Localization of FOXP3 and Conversion of Invariant NKT (iNKT) Cells into Immunosuppressive Regulatory iNKT Cells. J Immunol. 2015; 195 (5): 2038-45. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- van Heerden JH, Wortel MT, Bruggeman FJ, Heijnen JJ, Bollen YJ, Planqué R, Hulshof J, O'Toole TG, Wahl SA, Teusink B. Lost in transition: start-up of glycolysis yields subpopulations of nongrowing cells. Science. 2014; 343 (6174): 1245114. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Schneiders FL, Prodöhl J, Ruben JM, O'Toole T, Scheper RJ, Bonneville M, Scotet E, Verheul HM, de Gruijl TD, van der Vliet HJ. CD1d-restricted antigen presentation by Vγ9Vδ2-T cells requires trogocytosis. Cancer Immunol Res. 2014; 2 (8): 732-40. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- te Raa GD, Pascutti MF, García-Vallejo JJ, Reinen E, Remmerswaal EB, ten Berge IJ, van Lier RA, Eldering E, van Oers MH, Tonino SH, Kater AP. CMV-specific CD8+ T-cell function is not impaired in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood. 2014; 123 (5): 717-24. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Heerden JH, Wortel MT, Bruggeman FJ, Heijnen JJ, Bollen YJ, Planqué R, Hulshof J, O'Toole TG, Wahl SA, Teusink B. Fatal attraction in glycolysis: how Saccharomyces cerevisiae manages sudden transitions to high glucose. Microb Cell. 2014; 1 (3): 103-106. Service provided: Imaging Flow Cytometry.
- Scientific director (0.3)
- Technical directors for microscopy and cytometry (2)
- Dedicated technicians (6)
- IT-specialist (0.2)
- Lab manager (0.3)
- BD FACSAria™ Fusion Cell Sorter, BD Influx™ Cell Sorter, MoFlo Legacy Cell Sorter
- BD LSRFortessa™ X-20 SORP, CyAn ADP Analyzer, ThermoFisher Attune NxT VBYR, Cytek Aurora
- Luminex ImageStreamX
- Fluidigm CyTOF3-Helios
- Analysis platforms (Merck-Millipore-Amnis IDEAS, FlowJo, FCSExpress, SpectroFlo, and Cytobank)
- Leica Sp8 STED Falcon
- Nikon Ti2 Live cell
- Nikon N-SIM-S with dual TIRF, Nikon LIPSI, and Nikon A1R+ with spectral scanner
- Vectra Polaris
- Lavision Light Sheet, Lavision 2photon