Metabolic Unit, Clinical Chemistry, VUmc Medical Center
De Boelelaan 1117, 1081 HV Amsterdam
Dr. Eduard A. Struys
The VUMC Metabolic Laboratory has a long history in the detection and quantification of small endogenous molecules in diverse body fluids. Over the years this laboratory has become a reference centre for several inborn-errors of metabolism and in that position, several diseases have been elucidated by our laboratory.
Nowadays, the interplay within our laboratory of metabolomics , enzymology and DNA facilities is a valuable tool in diagnostics and research.
- Biomedical & health
- flux studies
- organic synthesis
- method development
- inborn-errors of metabolism
Expertise and Track Record
The long lasting experience with small endogenous metabolites, both in their assessment as well as in their biological importance, allows us the not only perform metabolite studies (metabolomics) but also permits interpretation of the generated results in a biological context.
- Wiseman DH, Struys EA, Wilks DP, Clark CI, Dennis MW, Jansen EE, Salomons GS, Somervaille TC. Direct comparison of quantitative digital PCR and 2-hydroxyglutarate enantiomeric ratio for IDH mutant allele frequency assessment in myeloid malignancy. Leukemia. 2015 Dec;29(12):2421-3.
- Nota B, Struys EA, Pop A, Jansen EE, Fernandez Ojeda MR, Kanhai WA, Kranendijk M, van Dooren SJ, Bevova MR, Sistermans EA, Nieuwint AW, Barth M, Ben-Omran T, Hoffmann GF, de Lonlay P, McDonald MT, Meberg A, Muntau AC, Nuoffer JM, Parini R, Read MH, Renneberg A, Santer R, Strahleck T, van Schaftingen E, van der Knaap MS, Jakobs C, Salomons GS.
- Struys EA, Jansen EE, Verhoeven NM, Jakobs C. Measurement of urinary D- and L-2-hydroxyglutarate enantiomers by stable-isotope-dilution liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry after derivatization with diacetyl-L-tartaric anhydride. Clin Chem. 2004 Aug;50(8):1391-5
- Dahlberg D, Struys EA, Jansen EE, Mørkrid L, Midttun Ø, Hassel B. Cyst Fluid From Cystic, Malignant Brain Tumors: A Reservoir of Nutrients, Including Growth Factor-Like Nutrients, for Tumor Cells. Neurosurgery. 2017 Jun 1;80(6):917-924