Modern life sciences call for advanced data and technological expertise. Researchers and programmers need training to acquire such skills. The DTL-associated professionals jointly identify training needs and develop new courses. This is done in close collaboration with the European endeavour of the ELIXIR Training platform.
DTL’s training and education activities are incorporated in the DTL Learning programme, which has four action lines: Developing courses, People, Course overview, and Outreach.
The DTL-associated professionals identify training needs and develop new courses in collaboration with the partner institutes and research schools such as the Dutch Research School on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (BioSB). The efforts are aligned with European (ELIXIR Training) and global (Goblet) training initiatives. Inspect our 2017 DTL Learning/ELIXIR-NL Training poster to learn more.
We currently work on the following topics and themes:
- FAIR data training
- Training in research data management
- Bring Your Own Data Workshops
- Software & Data Carpentry (teaching researchers computing skills, with NLeSC and SURF)
- Metabolomics (with Netherlands Metabolomics Centre)
- Infrastructure access (with SURFsara)
- Galaxy Training (an open, web-based platform for data intensive biomedical research, with the Dutch Galaxy Working Group)
- Dutch NGS Course Portfolio (with the DTL Interest Group Next Generation Sequencing)
- Bioinformatics and Systems Biology (with BioSB)
The training needs of modern life scientists extend beyond the borders of technologies (e.g., proteomics, bioinformatics, imaging), life sciences sectors (e.g., agro, health), ESFRIs, and countries. The DTL Training and Education activities bring together the training expertise of public and private parties in the life sciences in the Netherlands. In addition, we align our efforts with initiatives in Europe (ELIXIR) and abroad (e.g., GOBLET, RDA-CODATA). The DTL Learning Interest Group was started in 2014 to realise a comprehensive strategy and portfolio of training and education related to life sciences data and technology. Our activities are open to all and we welcome new collaborations. Read more.
We stimulate and extend existing public outreach initiatives of the DTL partners. Please find more information on the dedicated Outreach page.